Assisted Dying Canada: First Person In Ontario To Get Legal Permission Dies

via Assisted Dying Canada: First Person In Ontario To Get Legal Permission Dies.

The Huffington Post reports…

TORONTO — An elderly man died Friday less than 24 hours after a court approved his doctor-assisted death in the first such case in Ontario, his family said.

The married father and grandfather, 81, had been suffering from terminal lymphoma and was all but bed-ridden and in unbearable pain.

“Our dear husband, father and grandfather passed away in peace and dignity with the assistance of his caring physicians,” the family said in a statement.

“It was his life and his choice, and we support him in that choice unconditionally.”

Permission granted Thursday

The man, who can only be identified by court order as A.B., was granted permission Thursday from Superior Court Justice Paul Perell to have doctors help him end his life under a recent Supreme Court of Canada ruling.

The court also ruled the coroner did not need to be notified given that the cause of death was deemed to be his disease, not the lethal drugs he was given.

“We are so thankful for the ongoing care, guidance and medical assistance from his enlightened and compassionate physicians, who, like A.B., believed strongly that an individual deserves to be the author of their own journey’s end when the pain is intolerable and there is no further hope for recovery,” the family statement said.

“It was his life and his choice, and we support him in that choice unconditionally.”

The courts also ruled A.B.’s relatives and the doctors involved cannot be identified.

The family said it took comfort in knowing that their relative’s wishes were carried out, and spoke of his courage.

“We are so very proud that he used his last limited energy to fight for something he believed in so fundamentally: the right to decide when he was ready to pass and the right to have the assistance to do so with comfort and dignity,” they said.

The family expressed thanks to Perell and to the lawyers involved, Andrew Faith and Emma Carver, for the successful court application and for helping their relative “stand up for his rights.”

“Seeing our beloved A.B. calm, peaceful and without stigma and shame at his life’s end gives us the strength to weather our grief at his departure,” their statement said. “In death, he has been restored to the strong, vibrant and dignified man we knew before cancer and extraordinary pain brought him to his knees.”

Read the full story and related stories    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/18/assisted-dying-ontario-man_n_9498564.html

Meanwhile Andrew Coyne weighs in ….At the The National Post …

Andrew Coyne: Canada is making suicide a public service. Have we lost our way as a society?

Andrew Coyne | February 29, 2016 10:46 PM ET
More from Andrew Coyne | @acoyne

So the court not only opened the door to assisted suicide, but opened it a little wider than it had been asked to. Nonetheless, it remained confident that the door would open no further. Indeed, the ruling arguably depended on it. The Crown’s case for retaining the prohibition, after all, had rested on the concern that the logic of assisted suicide would not permit it to be limited to the sort of narrow circumstances the court had in mind. Expert testimony was called on the experience in Belgium and other countries, where eligibility for assisted suicide has been extended to children, the mentally incompetent, and others.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: